Sunday, September 14, 2008

Matthew 6:33

Matthew 6:33.  "But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you."

I have been meditating on this verse in which we are to "seek first the kingdom of God".  This may be one of the most important concepts of a Christians walk with the Lord.  We are reminded to love the Lord with all our heart and with all our our soul and with all our might. (Deuteronomy 6:5).  Why?  Because this is a relationship.  It is not "one sided".  God is real, not just a comforting thought.  He loves us more than we can ever imagine.  If our relationship with him only exists to get our prayers answered, then is this really a relationship? The first part of Matthew 6 has God reminding us that life if more important than "things." He knows all that we need, and he wants us to seek his kingdom first.  In doing so, we gain insight into what is important.  If we keep our thoughts on him, then he will add more to our life than we can ever think or imagine.

He has given us all we need to know him in his word..the Bible.  It is easy to read but not understand so this is why we have the invitation in James 1:5 to seek his kingdom. "If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given to him."

When I was a new christian, I struggled with understanding the bible, until I read that verse in James.  It was like a light going on in my head.  God knew what I needed before I did.  Wisdom. He says to ask and it will be given.  He will never keep wisdom from anyone who asks.

I am thankful for Matthew 6:33.   This verse puts into perspective my health problems.  God knows my prayers but he wants me to seek him first.....to keep my eyes on him.  He will take care of the rest. That is a promise!

No comments: