Monday, September 1, 2008

Psalm 119:49-50

Psalm 119: 49-50.  "Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.  This is my comfort in my affliction, that your promise gives me life."

David is a perfect example of how we are to seek God.  Many times we are told that we do not have because we do not ask.  Not David.  He asks, he seeks, he knocks (Matthew 7:7-11)  And he keeps on asking until the answer comes.  He knows who to ask because he knows God's law and his precepts.  It has been said of David that he is a man seeking after God's own heart.  What if we  would do the same thing?  What if we kept God's word in our heart and believed ALL of his promises?  Would our lives be different?  God answers this question in Jeremiah 29:13, "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart".  All your heart.  What would that look like?  Many times it is in our desperation that we seek God with all our hearts. Have you ever heard it say that in the worst of times there is good to be found?  Unless you know the Lord, you may not understanding the full meaning of this statement.  In fact, to those who do not know him, it may seem foolish.

David's life was being threatened from those who hated him.  He pleaded with God and asked that he might be saved.  Psalm 119 is the longest psalm in the bible,  and there is desperation in his words.  This is how we pray when we are at the end of ourselves, when we know with no doubting that we are petitioning the only one who can give us help...our Lord.

I do not have the problems of King David, but I understand David's petition .I believe that we are to go to the throne of the living God with our requests and that we are to seek after God's own heart. My trust is in God, who answered the faithful of the old testament and still answers us today.

No comments: