Friday, August 29, 2008

Hebrews 11:6

Hebrews 11:6.  "And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him."

Hebrews 11 goes on to say that by faith Noah built an ark when warned by God concerning events yet to come (the flood).  By faith, Abraham obeyed God as he was called from his homeland to go to the land of promise for an inheritance that included a son born to himself and his wife Sarah when they were well past the age of having children. On and on the verse speaks of the faith of Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, Moses, David... and many more. Verse 33-34.."who through faith conquered kingdoms, enforced justice, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, quenched the power of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, were made strong out of weakness, became mighty in war, put foreign armies to flight."

I wonder if today you or I would have the honor of being on that list? No one is exempt from a life of uncertainty or heartache. When troubles come do we depend on ourselves for the answer or just hope the situation gets better? I would love to say that I always know what to do, but in truth, I do not.....but I know who does. I know where my faith lies and it is best summed up in the book of Joshua in verse 24:14-15, "Now therefore fear the Lord and serve him in sincerity and in faithfulness...choose this day whom you will serve....but as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord."

My life is full of the unknown but I trust the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob to guide me along the narrow path to righteousness.  Hebrews 12:1 "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and every sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith." 




No comments: